Put Your Energy Knowledge to The Test
So I thought it would be fun to have a little year-end quiz on energy! Don’t worry – no one will know your score. Answers will be posted next week, and hint: all the answers can be found within the Energy Challenge (blog or website).
1.What is the best temperature setting for your water heater, both in terms of safety and efficiency?
2. How much less energy do compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) use than the old incandescents?
3. True or False: Heating cables on your roof help solve ice dams.
4. True or False: I need to program my programmable thermostat in order to save energy.
5. What percent of the energy used by your washing machine goes toward heating the water?
6. Approximately how much money could you save a year by driving the speed limit?
7. True or False: You can save $100 or more by recycling an older second fridge.
8. What temperature should your thermostat be set at to maximize efficiency and savings while staying cozy?
d. Depends entirely on comfort.
9. Approximately how much of a home’s annual electricity use is wasted through phantom load?
10. What uses the most energy in your home?
b. Heating water
c. Appliances (TV, microwave, ect.)
d. Heating and cooling