Simple and Good Lookin’ Green Gift Wrapping Ideas
Oh the typical routine of ripping open a gift and throwing the paper in a giant pile – only to be thrown out. This holiday season change it up and give your loved one gifts wrapped in material that has either been re-used or is re-usable. This can save you money and time (you don’t have to go out and buy tons of wrapping paper) and is a more personalized and unique way to give a present. Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- A present inside a present: Such as wrapping a book inside a handmade scarf or shirt- a nice little surprise and looks great!
- Avoid plastic ribbon: Instead of the traditional plastic ribbon that has no use after it is cut and curled, use wired fabric ribbon, or fun patterned hair ribbons that can be used again.
- Check around for re-usable paper: old maps, sheet music, newspaper,and magazines make visually interesting wrapping paper. I always collect my favorite magazine ads and pictures for my gifts.
- Brown paper bags with string: I love the simple and classy look of a present wrapped in a brown paper bag. You can add re-usable ribbon, string, or even a little ornament to make it personal. And you can write your ‘to’ and ‘from’ note right on the bag!
- Buy sensibly: If you are buying new gift wrapping materials, buy things that can easily be re-used. I always love getting gifts in cute paper bags because I can re-use them when I give a gift.
- Re-useable fabric bags: Give your gift in a re-useable bag that they can use to pick up groceries and maybe some gifts for you!
- Have the kids help: Creating an activity out of coloring and painting on newspapers, paper bags, or old printer paper can be a fun way to make colorful and personalized wrapping paper- great way to surprise grandparents with a piece of personal art!