Skip to content

Winter Safety: CO Tips

4 January 2010

There are many reasons that we recommend that homeowners get their furnaces and boilers inspected once a year before the heating season begins.  A good inspection will help make sure that your equipment is functioning correctly and efficiently to save you money.  These inspections can also save lives by helping prevent fatal leaks of carbon monoxide.

The Minnesota Department of Health recently reported that accidental carbon monoxide poisonings peak in winter (see the full report in PDF).  Carbon monoxide is a by-product of improper combustion, so if your furnace or boiler uses natural gas and it isn’t functioning properly, it could be producing carbon monoxide and venting it into your home.

Whatever your heating source, make sure you get an inspection and install a carbon monoxide detector within 10 feet of every bedroom in your home or apartment.

Stay safe, folks!

:: KARE 11

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: